Hello!

Today I had a great opportunity to take part in PYP (Primary Years Programme) in action Webinar during which I could see how the PYP lessons are constructed and conducted. 

Our four teacher-presenters came from the Monnet International School in Warsaw which follows IB and PYP programmes. The main aim of IB international schools is to provide a universal system of teaching and learning possible to conduct in countries all over the world. Six projects are carried out during one year on this programme.

The presenters organized group work for us. We were preparing oral presentations on given topics using some materials to better understand the elements and ideas of PYP.
We were working on the following areas:
1) agency and action
2) inquiry-based teaching
3) learner profile
4) international mindedness

My group was preparing the topic of international mindedness. I have learned that children from international schools come from varied backgrounds. They have different nationalities, cultures. From PYP's point of view, people see themselves connected to the global community so these differences do not matter that much. However, an internationally minded learner takes action for positive change. Diversity makes students a part of a huge global society.

We were also peer assessing our presentations and we did self-assessment. Thanks to these tasks we were able to work PYP method ourselves. Assessment is very important there and students are mainly assessing themselves instead of a teacher.

This webinar gave me an amazing chance to experience PYP myself. I think I like this kind of approach and I would like to try it as a teacher someday.

What do you think about PYP? Did you have a lesson like this?

Let me know in the comments below.

Zuzanna

No comments