Hi!

Welcome back on my blog! Today I was able to take part in a webinar about learning through movement and action songs.

This webinar was led by Mrs. Marta Szymańska who is a kindergarten teacher. She works with 3-4 and 5-6 year olds. In her teaching she does not use any coursebooks. Our presenter is also not a big fan of plastic materials which are often used during lessons, CD and MP3 players, not eco-friendly paper teaching aids. Instead of these the teacher takes items which can be found easily in any classroom in ex. toys, crayons, illustrations. She adds movements as well so she uses her body parts to teach. In my opinion these are really good ideas and they are very good for our environment.

Songs can be used in many ways. Mrs. Szymańska told us that she sings to calm down or wake up her students. They are a great help when it comes to establishing routines in the classroom. Singing affects the musical development of children and is an amazing tool for speech therapy exercises.

Some - especially young - teachers may find singing difficult and embarrassing. Our presenter has shown us how much kids love singing teachers and told us not to be afraid of doing it. The key is to know the lyrics good enough and practice a little bit at home. You can always modify a song to make it more beneficial or adjust it to your students' level.

At the end of the webinar Mrs. Szymańska has shown us a few videos of her singing with kids in the kindergarten. I love them! I feel encouraged to sing with children and I hope I will try to do it soon! "Hello, how are you?" from Super Simple Songs is one of my favorites!

What about You? Do You like singing with kids?

Please let me know in the comments!

Zuzanna



No comments