Hi! Welcome back!

Today I want to share with You some thoughts about an English lesson at "Żagle" Primary School, grade 0.

Below You can find the video and my questions & answers about it. Enjoy!




  1. ✔ What is your general reflection on the lesson?

    In my opinion this lesson was full of positive energy and involving for every student. Kids seemed to be very happy and excited about it. The teacher was prepared and used different methods and approaches. I found it amazing that he let children stand and move - instead of sitting all the time. Movement is a fundamental need for students of this age. 

    ✔ How does the teacher maintain classroom discipline?

    Students in this classroom were not quiet and sitting still. Despite this, I could see a lot of space for their creativity and activity. They were an integral part of the learning process which is one of the most important things. The teacher was silencing children frequently, but I am sure that they can work on that by for example introducing some silent sings.


    ✔ What could have been done better?

    I think that the teacher should introduce some rules that must be followed by both sides. It for sure would prevent from disorganization, chaos and too many choral answers. The teacher should also pay attention to the whole group. I found some kids at the back of the class being a little bit distracted and lost. 


     ✔ What error correction strategies does the teacher apply? 

    The teacher corrected some kids' wrong answers into the correct ones. Thanks to this reformulation he used children's knowledge and made students feel appreciated. He also applied a lot of repetition.

    ✔ How does the teacher use visual aids?

    Flashcards are a great and simple visual aid and in my opinion kids love them! In the video the teacher performed also a football pitch game which I really liked. Nevertheless I would add some more visuals to this lesson. There are many videos, games, charts, worksheets that You can find in example on the Internet. They will make a lesson interesting and even more involving for students.

That was my point of view. Please let me know what do You think about the video in comments section below :)

Take care,

Zuzanna






3 comments:

  1. Dear Zuzia,

    We are exactly on the same page. In fact students' needs should be taken into account while preparing a lesson and the permission for standing during the lesson was the right thing to do in my opinion. Actually I didn't notice that students were correcting each other so thank you so much for spotting it! Peer assessment is crucial in the language development ;)
    Love your blog and the esthetics.

    Take care,

    Magdalena M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zuzolku,

    Your post is very honest and interesting. It seems to me that thanks to your previous experience, how you see some behaviors differs from other people's opinions.
    I very much agree that a lesson without visual aids is very poor and not interesting for students. It is also important that these educational aids do not overwhelm our lesson and are only support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zuzanna,
    I have to agree with you about the silent period. I do think that in a language classroom there should be time for speaking and a time for silence. The silence offers students a chance to absorb the vocabulary of the English language - such as the sound and rhythm of words and to internalize it!

    Thanks for bringing this point up!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete